Thursday, January 6, 2011

Humble Orthodoxy in Dug Down Deep

I just finished Dug Down Deep (which I enjoyed over a cup of tea last night.) A few passages really jumped out at me- I'm posting them here for my own reminder as much as for others' sake! :)

"...while we shouldn't be mean and spiteful in representing biblical truth, neither should we apologize for believing that God has been clear in his Word. The humility we need in our theology is first and foremost a humility before God. As pastor Mark Dever puts it, 'Humble theology [is] theology which submits itself to the truth of God's Word.' This is a good reminder for me."

"But truth can be known. And what the Bible teaches should be obeyed. Just because we can't know God exhaustively doesn't mean we can't know him truly (Psalm 19:7-10; John 17:17). Just because there is mystery in God's Word doesn't mean we can pretend God hasn't spoken clearly in the Bible.

"Christian humility,' Dever writes, 'is to simply accept whatever God has revealed in His Word. Humiligy is following God's Word wherever it goes, as far as it goes, not either going beyond it or stopping short of it... The humility we want in our churches is to read the Bible and believe it... It is not humble to be hesitant where God has been clear and plain."

Harris goes on to say the same thing we talked about in homegroup last night which is the same thing I heard on my iPod Tuesday night in a message by Elyse Fitzpatrick. (Think God is trying to tell me something?!) He says:

"Do you want to keep your orthodoxy humble? Try to live it. Don't spend all your time theorizing about it, debating about it, or blogging about it. {teehehe!} Spend more energy living the truth you know than worrying about what the next guy does or doesn't know. Don't measure yourself by what you know. Measure yourself by your practice of what you know. {emphasis mine}"

Lord- Let your Word inform & shape every area of my life. ~Amen~

1 comment:

  1. I like that last part. "Measure yourself by your *practice* of what you know."

    So, it must've been worth reading I assume? I might have to pick me up a copy one day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping a note!