Friday, February 11, 2011

Favorite Things... Board Books!


Everyone has favorite things. I thought I'd share a few of my favorite things on a few Fridays.
My favorite book today is a new one Granny got us when Clara was born. Little Sisters Are... by Beth Norling. It's a quick, sweet book about snuggly, loud, whiney, fun little sisters. It makes me smile and is a board book I actually like. As opposed to books that count random items. I can do that without a book. I like books that either tell a story or have great illustrations or both. This one gets a free pass because I just like it.

Now that I think about it, I have another more favorite board book. Each Peah Pear Plum was a Christmas book and I really like it. It rhymes, is has fun illustrations ("can you find the three bears?") and alludes to nursery rhymes I may otherwise have forgotten! It has a wicked witch in it, which was almost a deal breaker, but since Robin Hood is shooting at her we overlooked Her Naughtiness. That one's by Janet & Allen Ahlberg. More favorite board books include Mr Brown can Moo by Dr Seuss, We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen and Sandra Boynton's hilarious But Not the Hippopotamus. Oh! Good Night, Gorilla is a great wordless book (find the red balloon in each illustration!). Of course the "touch and feel" books are enjoyed by children of all ages... Lauren, at 9, still loves to touch the sticky pads of the frog in the animal book.


Do you want to make a Mamma really happy next baby shower? Bring a *good quality* board book as a great gift! One with a good story that she won't mind reading to her toddler again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping a note!